Never say anything about yourself
you do not want to come true.
~ Brian Tracy
I'll never get that move. I'm just not good at zilling. I don't think I'll ever be good enough. I can't do it. I couldn't perform in front of people. I'll never understand I just won't try any more.
Do you ever really listen to yourself? If you do, do you ever hear these kinds of thoughts? Most people have thoughts like this from time to time, but for some people this is all they hear. Some people have a persistent chorus of negativity trampling their dreams and they don't know how to turn it off. Unfortunately, reap and sow philosophy tends to prove itself again and again. Garbage in, garbage out. Think it and you will become it. If that's true, what do we need to change?
We need to choose what we think.
Don't let your brain go on autopilot, because often the default is negativity. So... how?
- Surround yourself with uplifting, encouraging people that support you.
- Spend time with people that are in the state of life/mind/success that you want to emulate.
- Inject good thoughts into your mind viz audiobooks, positive music, videos, books etc.
- When you hear a negative thought, don't argue with it. Just END it and move on.
- If you have a few recurrent thoughts that drag you down, write them down and write out the opposite - the truth of the matter. Write this out and read it often. For example:
- "I'll never be good enough." Write out the truths that debunk this myth: I am getting better everyday. I am improving all the time. I can see how much I've grown since I started, and I know I will continue to grow. I am good enough already and I'm not stopping here.
Choose to be kind to yourself!